Friday, February 3, 2012

One Of Those "No Way" Moments (VI)

I recently purchased a copy of Nobuhiko Obayashi's House, a film described on the back of the DVD box as "one of Japanese cinema's wildest supernatural ventures". Seeing as Japanese cinema can be pretty wild at the best of times, I am intrigued to see what this "bubblegum teen melodrama [which usually interests me not at all] and grisly phantasmagoria [now yer talkin'!]" was actually like. But what I want to share with you is a quote taken from the booklet accompanying the film, spoken by the vice-president of Toho Studios, Isao Matsuoka, when presented with the film's initial script.
"I don't understand the story at all. This is the first time I have seen such a meaningless script. But maybe it's a good thing that I don't understand. Please do not try to make it into something I can comprehend."
Now there's an attitude that's sadly lacking in cinema today*! Although the booklet does point out that it was more reflective of the studio's financial desperation than of Mr Matsuoka's visionary qualities...

*If anyone can point me in the direction of contemporary films to which the above description applies, I'd be grateful...

2 comments:

jams o donnell said...

I couldn't rightly say about other films but I fancy seeing this one!

A Doubtful Egg said...

It's pretty weird, even by Japanese standards...