Saturday, March 5, 2011

An Amusement (XXVIX)



Terry Gilliam on Walerian Borowczyk's astounding 1964 film Les Jeux des Anges (which translates as The Games of Angels, I believe):
"Walerian Borowczyk was a twisted man whose films were infused with a unique cruelty and weirdness. He started out making extraordinary animations, graduated to directing classics such as Goto, Island of Love and La Bete, and then ended up directing Emmanuelle 5, which I think is a perversely fitting end. Les Jeux des Anges was my first experience of animation that was utterly impressionistic. It didn't show me anything specific, just sound and movement from which you create a world of your own."
What more encouragement do you need? 

5 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Strange but the more I watched the more I wanted to watch.

It's certainly not a Tom and Jerry!

A Doubtful Egg said...

It's not pleasant, but it's compelling...

Claude said...

Terrible...Horreur après Horreur...

A Doubtful Egg said...

Mais certainement!(Is that correct (and appropriate?))

Claude said...

Parfait, mon ami!

It's perfect, friend!