Thursday, February 24, 2011

Two Landscapes



Ireland goes to the polls tomorrow to elect a new government. It's an election-free zone here because, to be honest, I can't think of anything to write about it except for the following. I have not seen a single candidate since the election was called three weeks ago except on a poster, and here is a comment I left over at the Cedar Lounge Revolution blog (and I hope they don't mind me reprinting it here): "David McWilliams (who may not be the most reliable source) claims that by the end of 2012 the interest payments alone on our debts will be E12 billion (out of a tax take of E30 billion). I think that a whole lot of people just haven’t grasped what “financial constraints” means in this context ... I am really frightened over what is going to happen in the next five years; a 2013 Lockout won’t be the half of it. Is it possible to have any optimism at all in these circumstances?"
Anyway, above are two landscapes. The top is of the Hook Lighthouse, possibly the most photographed building in the whole of the South East of Ireland (it's also been the subject of an awful lot of really bad amateur paintings). It was a really grey, stormy day, and spectacularly beautiful (if a little scary at times, especially when you're trying to manhandle a tripod and keep your balance on uneven ground). The bottom picture is of the rust on an old winch, which was quite close to where the first picture was taken.
Here's a film. The quality is poor at first, so stick with it...

6 comments:

Claude said...

Great photos. I'm sure that your landscapes are symbolic.

The film is tearing my heart apart. Destruction... Difficult, long reconstruction...And, in one moment, re-destruction again...

Tough, tough life. It's never over. It's never at peace. It's never solidly, definitedly completed.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Storms, ruins, and slow disintegration: the photos suggested the film to me, and all three, is suppose, are suggested by what's happening in Ireland right now...

Claude said...

That's what I thought! Of course, what I mostly know about Ireland is what the tourist books suggest. One of my friends came back, last summer, so enchanted by your country that he plans to return next year. It's only through some Irish blogs that I hear about the agony and the despair which are gripping today's Ireland. It's so infinitely sad....

A Doubtful Egg said...

This could be such a wonderful country if it wasn't for ... well, where do I begin?

Stan said...

I like both photos, especially the rust, which suggests the surface of a strange planet. (Speaking of which, see these frying-pans.)

A Doubtful Egg said...

Interesting pics, Stan. Thanks for the link.