Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A thing with handles...

In my previous post I took a poem by William Carlos Williams and used an online translation service to mutate it, by translating it into French and back to English, then translating the results into Russian and back into English, and so on. The results are often quite interesting! Here's the opening verse of Emily Dickinson's 'Hope is the thing...' 

Hope is the thing with feathers 
That perches in the soul 
And sings the tune without the words, 
And never stops at all

Here is my mutation (after running it through Italian, French, and Russian) (the spacing is my own):

'A thing with handles (with apologies to Emily Dickinson)'
by A Doubtful Egg and an online translation service

The hope - 
a thing with handles, 
that the Persian fish in a shower 
also does not sing 

air without words, 
and never stopped all


4 comments:

Stan said...

Very amusing. Maybe they are love handles.

A Doubtful Egg said...

I've run a few of Yeats's poems through it and obtained some very bizarre results. It could be a competition; correctly guess the poem from a mangled mutation such as the following (which is easy enough):

The old iron, the old bones, old,
they pers impudique?
ahnlichkeit are in the beh?
Is in agreement.
Now my bosses went
I must go to bed,
any boss in goutants and gesch
begin the bones of Herzes.

jams o donnell said...

Instant surrealism, just add Babel Fish...

Fine mangling sir!

A Doubtful Egg said...

Don't praise me: the instant translator did all the work!