Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wexford Sights (XXV)




















Rather than opening a new post every time I take a photo of something covered in snow, I'm putting them all into one post, which I'll update as I go along. From the top:

Ice hanging from a holly branch that looks startlingly like a short-bladed knife;
the shadow of icicles; 
reeds in the snow; 
two sparrows on a fence post; 
a slightly out-of-focus blackbird with a bite to eat; 
icicles hanging from the gables of my house;
the local crossroads this morning (as I was walking to the local shop to get supplies);
bird prints in the ice;
winter trees;
three pictures of the hound indulging himself;
two crows consider the snow from their vantage point on a wire;
three night pictures from around my house (the silence of a nocturnal snow-covered landscape is quite breathtaking);
the field behind my house;
two pictures of bird footprints.

My apologies for the wobbly focus in some, but my camera seems to have a problem focusing in bad light.
Here's a curiosity: if there's one thing you probably don't associate with winter and snow, it's surfing. The following song from 1964, by the Trade Winds, is about how difficult it is to be the only "surfer boy" in New York in winter, and uses surfing as a metaphor for being uprooted and moved from your old life (or something...). There'll be no surfin' there; and no one even cares!



Another appropriate song:

7 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Those are fine snow scenes. Personally I prefer to leave at least a double glazed window between myself and the white stuff!

A Doubtful Egg said...

So do I, but the opportunity to take some amusing pictures occasionally gets the better of me.
Six days of bloody snow now, with no end in sight. The novelty has definitely worn off....

Claude said...

Magnificent photos. Each one is a poem by itself. I admire your fortitude. But it's necessary to keep a record of these times. Toronto is always gray. I love winter scenes ...from afar. thanks!

god-free morals said...

Your hound seems to love the snow as much as mine does.

All are excellent, but especially like the blackbird. A remarabkle and under-rated bird in my opinion.

A Doubtful Egg said...

I'm glad you like them, Claudia and Chris. The thaw has started now (I hope!) so there won't be many more (before the next snowfall, that is).

stancarey said...

You had a very bad dose compared to the mid-west, Doubtful.

Claudia is right. This is a beautiful series of photos. I can't pick a favourite! I love the reeds, and the winter trees, and the hound in the field. The ice-knife is spooky, a remarkable accidental imitation.

A Doubtful Egg said...

We certainly did, Stan, and it's not over yet. Some of the roads around Gorey are still frighteningly dangerous, under an inch-and-a-half of ice. I haven't seen my driveway or garden in 18 days, and driving down from Dublin last night my partner came across a jack-knifed truck blocking the whole motorway.
All this and a budget too? It's enough to turn me to drink! (If I could afford it...)