Sunday, September 12, 2010

Wexford Sights (XVIX): Mushrooms








There's a wood near me which is little visited and therefore fairly undisturbed, and the recent rain, combined with the still-warm weather, has lead to an eruption of mushrooms, some of which are shown above. I wonder which of them are edible; I imagine the red one isn't! Note the slug in the bottom two photos, heading towards the mushroom with breakfast in mind, no doubt. The top image is of an unusual (to me) tree fungus, a mushroom growing around a lump on the bark which looks disconcertingly like a gnome's urinal. The place was also alive with industrious spiders, one of whom I captured brooding at the centre of his web.

6 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Are you sure it isn't for holy water?

Strange for us but we have a sizeable mushroom growing in out back garden. Never sen one there before.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Holy water? That never occurred to me! Apt for a tree-filled space; a cathedral of nature, perhaps? I guess I'm just scatalogically minded... On the subject of your huge mushroom (I hope that's not misinterpreted), have you read Brian Lumley's short story 'Fruiting Bodies'? (And I hope your hand is better!)

Sean Jeating said...

Let me humbly try to build a bridge between superstition and scatology: How tall would a nonvolant gnome need to be to reach this elegantly designed urinal and bless it with his holy water?

A Doubtful Egg said...

Good point, Sean!

stancarey said...

A lovely set of fungal finery, Doubtful. If the first fungus is a gnome's urinal, the lump seems to be something blocking it. Presumably the responsible gnome wasn't tall at all, but merely did the business from a branch above.

I like the slug in the last two. It's like a tiny featureless leopard seal out of context.

A Doubtful Egg said...

The lump could be a designer lid, perhaps closed by a female gnome... Perhaps gnomes bring a ladder with them, and the height of the bowl is to prevent being attacked by predators when relieving themselves.
Seals are quite slug-like, aren't they, when out of water and sunning themselves on a rock?