Friday, August 27, 2010

Wexford Sights (XVII)






It's fruit-pickin' time here in Chez Doubtful! There is a little-visited field near our house that is home to a dense tangle of briars on which hang the juiciest and most succulent blackberries, and this afternoon my wife and I filled several shopping bags with as many as we could carry (this barely made a dent on their abundance!). Tomorrow we make jam! We were not the only ones craving these tasty treats, though; hundreds of hungry insects were also there in force, making the most of Nature's plenitude. Above are a handful of pictures I took while there, including a strange funnel-like spiderweb in the gorse that I found fascinating.
Of course, in case this is all simply too rural and idyllic for some, here's something decidedly hip and funky from LA:

8 comments:

Sean Jeating said...

Ah, D.E, blackberry jam!!

Here, on our favourite walking route, there is a huge (or is it a big?) blackberry shrub. So, I can feel your delight.

Enjoy tomorrow's jam-making ... and its result.
Mhmmm ... a kingdom for a wormhole to put a finger into the first glass to be opened ...

A Doubtful Egg said...

It should be fun, Sean, and staggeringly messy, I'll bet! The test will be the taste...

jams o donnell said...

Ah now picking blackberries around Milstreet then having them made into jam is a sweet childhood memory/ The messier the jam is the better!

A Doubtful Egg said...

It's my first time so it should be fun! And it would be a great activity for children, I'd imagine (I must mention it to my sisters when both of their kids are a little older).

Sean Jeating said...

Now tell me, D.E., how was the jam session?

And before I forget what I already forgot yesterday: Lovely pics.

A Doubtful Egg said...

The jam is made and set and in jars on our kitchen worktop. My partner and I are having a taste-test this morning....

Claude said...

Ah! D.E. Those juicy photos brought back (as with Jams) lovely memories of family summers in the Laurentians. My mother and us (kids) would leave Montreal mid-June, and live in rented cottages, near a lake, till mid-September. My father would come on week-ends. And I was his companion for whole afternoons of fruit-picking in the country fields where we would find loads of strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. My mother (sometimes on wood stove) would turn our collection in delicious jams and jellies which would last us all winter. What I remember and miss the most are the little fruit tarts. She had a way with pastry which none of her daughters have ever been able to duplicate.

But my bout of nostalgia is for my father's hand helping me around obstacles on our way to the fields. And the smell of summer and the buzzing of insects. Your photos have captured that moment so well. Thank you!

A Doubtful Egg said...

What a lovely comment! I'm very happy to have triggered your happy memories, Claudia...