Friday, August 13, 2010

Wexford Sights: Stained Glass (V)


The above images are of two windows in the very attractive late 19th century Catholic church in Oulart, a small village just off the R741 on the way to Wexford. Unusually, they are signed and dated; a small legend on the bottom of one (see the fifth picture) identifies them as being by Earley & Co, a Dublin company, and made in 1942. Again, they show the heavy influence of Harry Clarke, not surprisingly as Clarke's studio kept running for years after his death (until 1973) and would probably have been in competition with Earley & Co. My apologies about the slight blurriness in some of the images; my camera is having slight problems with focusing! I quite like these windows; the colours are very strong, and even imitation Clarke can be preferable to a lot of the blandly "modern" glass (or the Victorian hackwork) which one encounters so often in churches.

8 comments:

Laura Goff Parham said...

I love seeing your stained glass photos. Yes, this does show an Clark(1889-1931)influence. It also has a 'taste' of Connick (1875-1945)windows. You can see some Connick windows here: http://www.stainedglassphotography.com/Galleries/Connick/Connick1.htm

Cheers, Laura Goff Parham
http://www.sotaglass.com/

A Doubtful Egg said...

Thanks for the link, Laura! Part of the fun of investigating stained glass (admittedly in a very casual fashion on my part) is getting links to previously unknown artists and manufacturers. Connick's windows look very interesting; whether they were an influence on Earley & Co, I genuinely don't know. It's entirely possible, though. I'll be posting more stained glass in the future, hopefully...

Laura Goff Parham said...

In America Connick was well known as an artist but also a scholar of stained glass. Once you see a Connick window, you will instantly know it. The Clark windows are also instantly recognizable.

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/towerofglass/towerofglass.htm

In the above link, I saw an article that quotes a letter from Connick commenting on the work of Geddes (who was a contemporaty of Clark). This shows the possibility of a link.

Through the Stained Glass Association of America I am friends with the other large studio owner. I have written about that on my blog http://www.sotaglassblog.com/ July 4th blog.

I look forward to more photos.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Once again, thanks for the links and information. It makes sense that the stained glass artists from the time would be aware of, and receptive to, each others work. I look forward to seeing more of Connick's work on the internet.

Laura Goff Parham said...

Regarding 'artists aware of each other's work'. LOL - That is code. It translates..... when you loose a job to another studio, the astute businessman will study the competition. :)

A Doubtful Egg said...

Very true, I'd imagine...

jams o donnell said...

They are beautiful works.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Glad you like them, Jams. They're in a little church just up the road from me, and I pop in every now and again to look at them.