Monday, July 19, 2010

Wexford Sights (XV)

After reading this, I had to go out into nature and stare up at the sky, thinking of the joy I'll feel when, hopefully, at some point in the next five years, I'll be sitting on a plane with a one-way ticket to anywhere other than here. It wasn't all rage-filled musing, though; as I looked up to the sky I was thinking that behind the glorious blue expanse above me, somewhere out in the immensity of the Universe, is this. I was also amused by the stand-off between a frisky young cow and our not-as-brave-as-he-thinks-he-is hound; although cows have gifted us with the pejorative phrase 'bovine', they can be pretty fearsome when they run at you! But back to the original link: why in the name of all that's tiny and ferret-like would anyone pay tuppence to hear Bertie Ahern speak? William Burroughs's phrase 'the talking asshole' from Naked Lunch is a very succinct description of him ("Did I ever tell you about the nation that taught its asshole to talk? It would blather on about 'de economy' and 'de peace process' day and night..."). To be honest, I'd rather listen to this:

6 comments:

Claude said...

Who would want to buy this asshole's biography? No wonder he uses taxpayers' money to promote the book.

Your nature photo are always so good. And I love your hound. Whenever I see him, I clap hands. It's like he's telling me, "Look at me, Claude, and you'll feel good!" I do. He seems always to enjoy life's daily adventures. He is NOT a dull dog!

I'm not sure about the music. But better than a politician's yarn. With that I agree.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Yes, I can't understand why anyone would willlingly part with money to buy Bertie's book, especially as thanks to him and his band of cronies the country's bankrupted for the foreseeable future. It's true: you CAN fool some of the people all of the time!
I'm glad you like the photos, and the hound gives you a smile!

Sean Jeating said...

It emerged recently that the cost of providing chauffeur-driven cars to four ex-Taoisigh came to €684,247 last year..

And they always come back?! When will the people sponsor a one way ticket to the far side of the moon?

Close to making a big step backwards on my quest to become the politest blogger in this universe and those yet to discover, for something completely different ... in defense of Rothko: The brave hound obviously knows that to be a cow does not mean one is a coward.
Put a Cowan on the meadow, and you will see what a fine hound Rothko is.

Lovely pics, D.E. I like the first one best.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Chancers like Bertie Ahern get away with such naked greed at the expense of the public purse for the simple reason, I believe, that they're only doing what the average Irish citizen would do if put in their place. Irish politicians (espec. Fianna Fail) are not out of touch with the general public; they are their reflection!
I'm glad you like the photos!

stancarey said...

Beautiful Wexford sights! The first photo in particular is stunning, and makes me wish I were in that golden brown field, heading for that tree, under that sky.

Our language is full of animal words used as terms of abuse. I think it's a way for humans to feel more important, more noble, less like animals. 'Tis but a wonky mirror.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Thanks Stan. My apologies for the delay in replying, but my internet service has been so poor recently that I've had great trouble getting on the net at all.
Not all animal terms are abusive, though. I'm thinking of leonine, aquiline, dogged, and feline or foxy (in terms of sensuality). But so many of them are negative, like bovine, sheepish, ratlike, shrewish, a donkey, to be chicken, and so forth (and often used against women: a cow, a dog, a horse, a shrew, a bitch, an old trout, a cackling hen, mousey, catty, and so on).