Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wexford Sights: Stained Glass (III)

I know, I know: more stained glass! These come from the Catholic church in Kilmuckridge, a small village on the R742 about twenty miles south of Gorey. The top picture here is the interesting one, as it's an image of St John the Evangelist as rendered by noted glass artist Michael Healy, best known for the superb glass at Loughrea Cathedral (a brief biography of Healy can be found here). His Evangelist is quite the fin-de-siecle aesthete! The other two windows are by artists unknown (to me); the "St George Slaying the Dragon" is finely coloured.

5 comments:

Claude said...

I love your Stained Glass photos. It's really a magnificent art that we neglect sometimes because it's connected with religion. As you say, with the sun's reflection on the windows, it's splendid to look at.

I will try to scan and email the stained glass windows of Christ the King Cathedral of Moosonee (James Bay/North Ontario). They're very special because they were designed to represent our Natives' lifestyle, and the animals of the land. Alas, my photos are not very good but you can still see the inspired designs of Keena, a Mowak Indian of the Turtle Clan. The stained glass artist, Detlef Gotzenz had studied at Cologne Cathedral, Germany.

Thank you for those beautiful posts, and the interesting, original links (music and stars).

Claudia

A Doubtful Egg said...

Please do! I'm glad you like the pictures. Now that I'm working on these images, I might write a more deatiled piece about why stained glass continues to be neglected (in my humble opinion).

stancarey said...

Thanks for posting these, Doubtful. They're very beautiful, and your photos are clear and capture the colours well. Aside from the windows' central figures, I love their Celtic, leafy perimeters.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Thanks Stan. It's surprising, but quite a few remote churches contain glass that rewards careful viewing! Of course, quite a few more contain glass that's woeful. What interests me, aside from aesthetic considerations, is that this is probably the most prevalent public art form in Ireland - not every town has an art gallery, but if you stand anywhere in Ireland there's bound to be a church within a few miles, more often than not containing glass. Yet I don't think anyone's ever written on this subject in any depth.

jams o donnell said...

THat would be an interesting study Doubtful