Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wexford Sights (XIV)





Just a series of photographs taken within the last month or so. From the top:
Myself at Ballinoulart (my surly expression can be explained by the fact that I was suffering rather badly from hayfever);
the windmills at Ballinoulart;
two geese at the Slob bird sanctuary, in south County Wexford (aren't geese the most hilarious birds around?);
a close-up shot of the tip of a budding fern;
a field of rapeseed just south of Gorey.
I'm currently reading an odd and very long book called The Death Of My Brother Abel by a guy called Gregor Von Rezzori, about a guy in a hotel room rambling on about why it's hard to write the book he's writing about his life, Europe, and other sundry matter; it's either a masterpiece, or self-indulgent waffle of the highest order (I haven't quite decided yet). The last film I watched was David Cronenberg's messy and unpleasant debut Shivers, and the last piece of music I listened to was Lili Boulanger's Clairières dans le ciel (picked up, as are most of my current purchases, in a charity shop for two euro). I don't normally like classical songs, or leider, but these are very beautiful. Here's a sample (which is not the same as the issue I have, as the vocals are performed by a contralto rather than soprano as scored).

9 comments:

jams o donnell said...

A superb set of photos. I love the windmills

A Doubtful Egg said...

Thanks, Jams. I find those windmills eerily beautiful; they are so massive, yet so silent...
And my apologies for not leaving any comments on your blog recently; be assured that I am usually there, thinking "that's interesting/hilarious/a fine photo/they found a picture of Jesus where?" and so forth...

Claudia said...

Your photos are so special. They are visual treats. Thank you!

I couldn't believe I was hearing Lili Boulanger's music. She was a 2year-old prodigy, and was taught by the greatest music teacher of the 20th century, her mother:Nadia Boulanger. I didn't know I would find them on YouTube. I'm so grateful to you. Studying classical piano in Montreal, you couldn't fail to hear of them. In her short life (Lili died at 24) she produced incredibly soul inspired pieces, for voices and instruments.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Thanks for your kind words about my photography, Claudia. It's an enjoyable hobby for me, and it's nice to get positive feedback.
There's not a lot of Boulanger's music on YouTube, more's the pity; if only some enlightened soul would post the entire song-cycle I have on record so I could hear some contrasting versions. It musty be different to hear them as a French speaker, though; although I have a translation of the text, I just hear the lyrics as sounds rather than words. Her music is very beautiful...

stancarey said...

Magical photographs, and a lovely soundtrack. I don't think you look surly at all. Your expression seems fairly neutral — wistful maybe — but that's in keeping with the background. It's like the cover of an acclaimed but little-read novel of some quiet rural drama.

The synchronised geese are hilarious, and I love a good curly fern. I love Shivers too, but we'll not debate it now!

CalumCarr said...

I have just discovered your blog - through Omnium - and I'm delighted.

The photos are outstanding!

There is something strangely beautiful about the rapeseed photo: the juxtaposition of the brightness of the field and the heaviness of the sky.

Thank you, I'll be back.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Thank you, Calum. I'm glad you like the photos. I've been neglecting my blog a little due to circumstances, but I try to get something up here at least once a month!

Papotine said...

Yes, beautiful photographs indeed. Stain glass on black makes me feel I'm in a church, and the geese make me feel like Nils Holgerson. And the outdoors pics seem to be taken from a vivid dream.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Thank you, Papotine. I had to look up Nils Holgersson, but it's very apt!