Friday, April 16, 2010

I Haven't Felt This Way Since "Funky Town"! (XI)

Here are several versions of what might be one of the best songs ever written, Cole Porter's haunting (and slightly unsettling) 'Night and Day', ranging from the inspired to the downright odd. I had no idea Ringo Starr recorded it, nor do I know anything about the Japanese girl-group version except that it has a very weird video. If it weren't for a slightly messy ending, the version by Everything But The Girl would definitely get my vote, as its pared-down approach and Tracey Thorn's wonderful voice really allows the song's melody to shine. And I love the ukelele version!







Sister Q - Night and Day by ChibiLune

4 comments:

jams o donnell said...

You certainly have collected plenty of versions of the song!

A Doubtful Egg said...

I only scratched the surface, but I figured that eight was enough! Besides, I wanted to get some variety; I was disappointed not to find a version by William Shatner or a Norwegian death metal combo...

Claudia said...

You got me on the piano playing Night and Day...though not as well as the ukelele! My favourite is As Time Goes By sung by different people. It's also fun on the piano. And, if I play it at a party, everybody start to sing...

A Doubtful Egg said...

'As Time Goes By' is one of those songs that gets people going, isn't it? I was inspired to search out different version of 'Night and Day' after hearing it in Woody Allen's Radio Days, which has fantastic music throughout. I'm not a fan of Allen generally, from even before he'd decided to become his son's brother-in-law by having a relationship with his stepdaughter, as I found his films to be often cold and bitter, and his neurotic persona tiresome and self-indulgent. But Radio Days has a warmth, humour, and sadness that's just lovely. And if you like 40s music, it's just perfect; Allen really knows his stuff, and his choices are excellent.