Friday, March 26, 2010

Wexford Sights (VIII)

Yesterday, while walking on Tinaberna Strand with the hound, my eye was caught by a crude tombstone and head which some creative soul had carved into the low sandy cliff facing the sea. It was a strangely gloomy combination to see on the desolate stony beach, and put me in mind of Louis le Brocquy's ghostly ancestral heads, primitive tribal sculpture, or, less respectably, Lucio Fulci’s unpleasant, sloppy, crude zombie movies (they may be artistically questionable (to put it mildly), but his Zombie Flesh Eaters is one of the only films that has given me nightmares, which is strange considering it’s not very frightening (or even that good)). I imagine that in a few days the wind and rain may have dissolved it, something that makes me like it all the more. And, in an attempt to demonstrate that sometimes art can be found under your feet, below is a photo taken during the recent icy weather. It’s of the frozen water which filled the indentations made in mud by a tractor’s tyres.

In these straitened times we need good art more than ever, something that is explained by the excellent article by Fintan O'Toole here. The following is a song I heard first many years ago and only rediscovered this evening, when for some reason it popped into my head when I was lazily browsing on YouTube. It's the B-Side to Scott Mackensie's silly and dated novelty "If You're Going To San Francisco", which my father bought as a 45 way back when in the sixties, and is a far superior song. It has a strange melancholy that I find quite haunting, although maybe it's because I associate it with my childhood.

7 comments:

Stan said...

Interesting bit of amateur sculpture. Zombie Flesh Eaters is a bad but weirdly haunting film, as you say. Certainly there are better Fulci films, but none that boast a moment of underwater wrestling between a zombie and a shark.

Lovely song — thanks for sharing it.

A Doubtful Egg said...

I think part of the reason ZFE had such an impact on me was that I was suffering from a gigantic hangover when I first saw it, which heightened the hallucinatory aspects of the film all the more (as did the creepy synth score) because I was too ill to concentrate on the story (never a bad thing with Italian horror)! The Beyond is certainly a better film, but even that swings wildly between inspired, brilliant weirdness and painfully idiotic sequences (there's no doubt that being made fast and cheap, like all Fulci's films, didn't help). Glad you liked the song; it's an old favourite of mine (for sentimental reasons).

jams o donnell said...

I love the sculptures. A nice bit of serendipity

A Doubtful Egg said...

There's been a lot of rain, so I wonder if they are still there...

Sean Jeating said...

[As I just don't find proper words]
Great, great, great photos!
I wonder if the sculptor took photos of his work; if he did not, I am sure he'd be glad did he know you took some.
Thanks so much for sharing, D.E..

Phew ... ha ha ... you see me delighted.

Claudia said...

Great photos. I like winter icy designs. Amazing to discover (on a daily walk) anonymous artwork done right on the spot with materials nature has provided. It's a bit mysterious. Why would anyone bothers? Maybe an adult playing with a child? But then why a tomb? A bit morbid. And, as you say, it brought back a zombie memory. Ah! well... Interesting!

Nice song!

A Doubtful Egg said...

Oddly, the face is gone after last week's rain, but the tombstone is still there. A gloomy omen...
Glad you like the song, Claudia! It's an old favourite...