Sunday, March 21, 2010

Some Squelchy Life...

While wandering through a forest in Wexford today with the hound I came across a large pond liberally scattered with frogspawn, and with this in mind, took the above pictures. In the interest of being topical, I could point out that the creatures shown here have more backbone than the average Irish cardinal or bishop. And to complement the above photos is an appropriate song (I'd like to point out that one-time Doctor Who star Jon Pertwee does an absolutely brilliant and hysterically funny version of the following song, which is unfortunately only available if you can find the original vinyl release from 1966, but it's worth the search!)

9 comments:

jams o donnell said...

A glorious sight! Definitely a sign that spring is sprung

Sean Jeating said...

Lovely pics, D.E., and an excellent (backbone) comparision.

Stan said...

Splendidly squelchy and ooh so oozy! Judging by the greens below, it looks as though they'll have plenty to eat when they emerge — if they're not eaten first.

[Word verification prompt: "clami".]

A Doubtful Egg said...

Jams: I certainly hope so!

Sean: One wonders if, like the frogspawn, the bishops will eventually transform into something more developed...

Stan: "Clami"! Chortle...

Claudia said...

Terrific photos. You can feel pulsating life in that pond. I hope they get married, have many little froggies, and live happily forever after. I don't even want to think of all the dangers surrounding them.

But then I never want to know when there's a snowstorm or a spring flood, in Manitoba, where my grandchildren are growing up. I have enough gray hair as it is!

Sean Jeating said...

Now, that would, indeed, be a wonder.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Claudia: Life sure is tough for little froggies, I'm sorry to say (I should know, as I occasionally, and accidentally, run them over with my lawnmower!) I may go back in a week or so to see how they're getting on.

Sean: An unlikely one, given the Pope's self-serving and evasive letter...

Claudia said...

Life is tough for all species...even humans. Specially little kiddies and old ladies! I was so busy in the middle period. I never had time to think how tough it was then. But music and books make every year bearable. I wonder what little froggies enjoy between birth and death.

Our R.C.M.P. said you just lost your lawn-mower license!!!!!

A Doubtful Egg said...

I always feel really guilty whenever I found the little bodies, I must point out. I hate killing anything, even flies and mice. And looked at from a fly's point of view, a frog is a monster.
Books and music? I second that!