Tuesday, February 2, 2010

An Amusement (XXI)

This is one of those filler posts when I can't think of anything to write, yet feel the need to put something up here to show that I am still floating about the place. I'm working more on my "crumpling paper" stuff and on my art, so I've not a whole lot to say here. I've been watching a lot of the very silly yet intriguing Aeon Flux cartoons; they're nonsense, but weirdly compelling and enjoyable nonsense, up there with Sapphire and Steel in the "what the hell is going on here?" stakes. Yesterday, as I wandered through Gorey, I spotted a perfect photo op: in the gardens of a hospital was a white statue of Jesus, arms raised, and on each hand perched a black crow. Unfortunately, I had no camera with me. Ah, life... But if you're looking for something interesting, I suggest you click here. Or watch this:
And here's some music to go with the above (play both videos together; they're about the same length!). Enjoy!

3 comments:

Stan said...

One man's filler is another man's entertainment, and I'm glad to hear you're crumpling paper and making art. I've never watched Aeon Flux but I've heard it discussed in generally positive terms, and I might give it a look some day.

Thanks for the videos — they're a good combination! The noise was an unexpectedly appropriate accompaniment to the visuals. Well, not so unexpected, since I trusted your judgement.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Aeon Flux is definitely too weird for mass consumption and it's hard to tell just how seriously you're meant to take it - it's quite self-parodic a lot of the time. I haven't seen the film, but I've heard that it's very bland and uninteresting. I find the cartoons entertaining when I need to park my brain in neutral and enjoy some oddball sci-fi.
Microscope photography fascinates me, and has been very influential on ideas in my art: the invisible world that's all around us yet cut off from our perception by the limitations of our eyes ... I'm also a huge fan of David Tudor's electronic music - now there was a man who appreciated a good hideous racket!

Stan said...

If you like oddball sci-fi animation, this French curio might appeal.

I know what you mean about microscopy. Receiving a microscope in my early teens (from a generous German we met on a family holiday!) catalysed a lifelong love affair with hidden biology. Since then I've enjoyed using more powerful devices in college and industry, and could spend hours happily peering at just about anything in high magnification!