Saturday, November 21, 2009

Wexford Sights (IV)





I've not been writing much recently, due to personal circumstances, so here's a few photographs of a small river near a hydroelectrical station, taken on a forest walk near Castlebridge in Wexford. Some were taken with a long exposure, which I feel captures the velocity and force of the water, which I have rarely seen as turbulent as it was today, due to the extraordinarily heavy rainfall we've had recently. Of the photos below, the top is a delightful (and accidental) shot of my partner's parents' new puppy, and the bottom is of a dead fox washed up on a beach near me. I could make a point about this, life and death and all that folderol, but I'm too tired... (A Doubtful Egg apologises for being such a sour old git, and promises that, once my new regime of healthy exercise (a first for me) and proper eating begins to pay off in terms of both more energy and a sunnier outlook on life, posts here and over at the neglected "... crumpling paper ..." blog will contain more substance and entertainment.)

6 comments:

Stan said...

Another fine set of photos, Doubtful. I love turbulent flow, though its power can be deeply unnerving when it breaks its 'natural' boundaries — as it did across the country over the last few days. I hope you're on relatively high or protected ground. The photo of the fox is quite amazing (and reminds me of Fata Morgana, a film I saw recently).

jams o donnell said...

You've certainly captured the dreadful power of water in your photos. The pup looks like a little sweetie!

A Doubtful Egg said...

Stan: I hope the river has stayed away from your door, as I see that your side of the country has been very badly affected by the floods. I haven't seen Fata Morgana; is it worth a look?

Jams: There's actually two pups, and they are as adorable as a kitten looking out of a shoe...

Sean Jeating said...

Stunning - both the electrifying power of nature and your photographs, D.E..
If I were member of a jury I'd without hesitating vote for the fox on the beach.

As for life: Hope you'll soon feel vivid like a fish in water, D.E. Be kind to yourself.

Stan said...

I'm very close to the sea here, Doubtful, but my immediate environment is fortunately dry. A lot of roads are out, and some towns, such as Ballinasloe, seem to have experienced real devastation.

Fata Morgana is very good. If you like Herzog you'll have a general idea what to expect. It's one of his first films, and contains the germs of many ideas he returned to in later works. It's very beautiful, with long takes across unusual landscapes, and a mythic narrative that seems to be only vaguely related to what's on screen.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Sean and Stan, please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your comments sooner. I'll check out Fata Morgana when I get the chance. Glad you like the pics, Sean; they don't capture the extraordinary beauty of the place (a wood walk near us, one of the most peaceful and relaxing places I know, even when the water churns and boils like this).