Saturday, November 14, 2009

The NAMA Vote

Seeing as NAMA is one of the most important (and grotesque) pieces of legislation to appear before our Dail, I think it's important to make a list of those who weren't able to make the time to be present to vote, a list I haven't yet seen anywhere else (at the time of writing; if it does exist, please let me know, and do likewise if I've made any mistakes, so I can make the necessary correction).
On the government side, Martin Cullen (FF), Beverley Flynn (FF), Jim McDaid (FF) and Michael Moynihan (FF) didn't vote, nor did Noel Grealish (PD) or Finian McGrath (Independent). All the Green Party were present, and voted in favour.
On the opposition side there was a breathtaking 10 members absent from Fine Gael, including party leader Enda Kenny (!) and George "Economic Superstar" Lee. Other FG non-voters were Sean Barrett, Michael Creed, Lucinda Creighton, John Deasy, Olwyn Enright, Charles Flanagan, Olivia Mitchell, and Alan Shatter. Also missing were three members of Labour: Kathleen Lynch, Brian O'Shea, and Ruairi Quinn. All (four) members of Sinn Fein were present, and voted against. The Ceann Comhairle Seamus Kirk also didn't vote, but he's not supposed to unless there's a tie.
Those who voted in favour: 81.
Those who voted against: 65.
Those who were absent on the government side: 6.
Those who were absent on the opposition side: 13.
Ceann Comhairle: 1.
Total: 166.
The list of those who voted is here. The bill now goes to the President to be signed into law, and once that's done the real fun commences. And to get that unpleasant taste out of my mouth, here's a really enjoyable and entirely irrelevant pop song.

5 comments:

Sean Jeating said...

19 funerals?
What a sad day in and for Ireland.

A Doubtful Egg said...

To br honest, I don't care what their reasons were, and I feel that only the funeral of an immediate family member should have been an excuse when missing this vote. Although the fact that the leader of the opposition couldn't be bothered to attend in person to vote against a bill he's attacked for months was jaw-droppingly hilarious. It was a sad day for Ireland alright...

Claudia said...

Thank you for the music. Enchanting presentation.

Sean Jeating said...

Ah, D.E., sorry - my sometimes strange sense of irony.
I am absolutely sharing your opinion.

Hope you and yours are well, my friend.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Glad you liked it, Claudia! I've been searching for that song for ages; I heard it years ago, and all I could remember was the first line of the chorus!

Sean, I enjoy your sense of irony greatly! It's sorely needed in these times...
Thankfully, the extraordinary floods racking the south and east of Ireland are not affecting us too much here. What's happening in the west puts some people's (somewhat overdone, not too say hysterical) ranting about a particular football match into perspective, though.