Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Very Belated Accompaniment

This time nearly a year ago I wrote a short piece about Sappho and walking in moonlight (here). I only wish that I had had the following photo (taken this evening on Morriscastle Strand) to illustrate it with back then, but better late than never. (I hope this displays properly on your computer; it's quite dark!)
Here's the same scene without the shadowy figure (my partner, who was very obliging about having to stand still quite a few times while I cursed and tried to get the shot right).

And finally, here's a jolly pumpkin in the window of Chez Doubtful! (I'm off to watch some more horror films now...)


8 comments:

Sean Jeating said...

Ha ha, D.E., a terrific (halloween) night on you!
Great shots.

[Why don't you just "update" you Sappho-post?]

A Doubtful Egg said...

I didn't think of it! Besides, I wanted to include my pumpkin picture, which doesn't fit the tone of the older post...
I was lucky to get those pictures - a couple of hours after my beach walk, the rain started and, eleven hours later, still hasn't stopped!

Claudia said...

Fantastic photos...

And it gives me the occasion to read again the great moonlight quotations you offered on your previous post.

Here, our streets were flooded with strange people and cruel rain, last night. Good to be safe at home, to watch your sky and pumpkin.

RE: your last post. I never look at horror movies after the sun goes down. You're a brave man, D.E.

jams o donnell said...

The first two photos are quite eerie

A Doubtful Egg said...

Claudia: Living down the country means I tend to miss a lot of the Halloween fuss; on the down side, I miss all the costumes and related silliness, but on the plus side I also can avoid the illegal bonfires, endless eruptions of fireworks, and drunken fools stumbling about and being a nuisance. And I do like to sit in with a good "weird" film - I prefer my horror to be overloaded with brains rather than gore (although I can sit through an unpleasant film if it's artistically justified, but not voyeuristic, sadistic dreck like Saw or Hostel).

Jams: Glad you like them. Just out of curiosity, have you seen the atmospheric 1960s film Night of the Eagle? It's worth a look if you haven't...

Stephanie, Mama Dramatist said...

I really feel the need to mentally apply some appropriately suspenseful music to the photo series!

Either that or howl.

AaaaaaOOOOOOOOOOO!!

A Doubtful Egg said...

I'm glad you like the photos, Stephanie, and thanks for the hearty Halloween howl!

Stan said...

Great photos, Doubtful! Very atmospheric. The pumpkin in the third shot is a nice touch.