Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wicklow Sights (I)


As I was passing by (or indeed, bypassing) Arklow today, I decided to pull into the town and take some photos of the attractive St Saviour's Church, located near the town centre. I took two pictures, one a straightforward view from the road, and the other a David Hockney-style collage (shame on me for mentioning my effort in the same sentence as the master!). The collage allows one to get more detail by giving a closer view of the building, while the one-off picture gives you the accurate height of the steeple (which looks a bit squashed in the collage). The harmonious interior of the church, which dates from the late 19th century, is very nice also (and has a fabulous vaulted oak ceiling) but I don't have any pictures from there as my camera's batteries went dead. I hope you like the pictures.

4 comments:

jams o donnell said...

It's been a very long time since I was in Wicklow. I must rectify that

A Doubtful Egg said...

Tis a beautiful part of the country alright (although Arklow is somewhat charmless). I must motor up to Glendalough one of these days (when I'm not searching out odd churches...)

Stan said...

What a fine building, and a lovely backdrop by the look of it. It's a few years since I was in Wicklow, and probably a couple of decades since I was in Glendalough. Haven't forgotten the rolling hilly beauty of the area, though.

A Doubtful Egg said...

It's just up the road from me (Wicklow, that is, not Glendalough) but I don't travel that way as often as I should, except when on my way to Dublin. I'm still discovering Wexford, my home at present...