Sunday, April 12, 2009

Some Tangled Webs





Early one morning last September, I went for a walk with the hound in the lane beside our house. It had been raining heavily for what seemed like weeks, and this was the first clear, sunny day that we'd seen in ages. I quickly noticed (it was impossible to avoid noticing!) that the spiders, emboldened by the unaccustomed heat and light, had gone berserk with enthusiasm and had festooned every available shrub and bush with gossamer webs, which were still damp with dew and glistened in the morning sunlight. I half expected to see a huge web strung across the very lane itself, as some over-ambitious spider, sick of eating bugs, was trying for bigger prey (in case the seemingly interminable rain started again). It was quite beautiful, so I took a few pictures, which I dumped in a desktop folder and then forgot about, only stumbling across them recently while looking for something else. I hope you like them.

4 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Nice shots. I love it when the garden is full of webs

Claudia said...

It's marvellous! It really is...I've never seen so many webs, so nicely woven. Thank you!

I was 6 years old when I first watched a spider weave a web. I was fascinated, and I vowed I would never kill a spider. I never did. Whenever I saw one in the house, I would take it gently and put it outside. Mostly because other people with me didn't want to live with spiders.

Of course I've never been invaded by a colony, or seen any venomous huge spiders. I'm not sure how I would handle that...

Stan said...

Perfect conditions for web-making and photo-taking. I'm glad you rediscovered these photos, Doubtful.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Thanks guys. I've always found spiderwebs to be amazingly beautiful things (but that's also because I'm not a bluebottle!). Our house, being of the old, rackety type, probably has more of them than most...