Saturday, April 18, 2009

An Amusement (XIV)

My apologies to the reading several (to borrow Stephen Fry's phrase) about my lack of posts this week, but I've been so busy and disorganised (even for me) that I've had neither the time nor the enthusiasm to write anything new. But to make up for all that, here's something I found recently that's really interesting (and sheds light on a source of inspiration for a certain T. Gilliam). Enjoy!


For those of you interested in Irish contemporary music, the Ergodos Festival of New Music started last night in Dublin and runs all week there. There's a whole heap of good stuff being performed, so if, unlike me, you live in Dublin and have a few free nights, do your bit for music and support your local composer! I'm going to try to get to some of the performances later in the week (he said in the spirit of naive optimism). More information here.

8 comments:

Sean Jeating said...

Labyrinthine, indeed. Thanks for that, D.E.

A Doubtful Egg said...

It makes me keen to get out there and find a proper copy of his films, as YouTube copies are always inferior. But his work's not that easy to find, it seems. There's a Polish DVD available, but little else that I could find. A more thorough investigation is in order. You certainly would be hard pressed to beat the Central and Eastern Europeans when it comes to interesting animation!

Green Of Eye, Sharp Of Claw said...

Very very cool.Thanks for posting it.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Glad you like it, Green of Eye.

Stan said...

Thanks very much, Doubtful - a very interesting and imaginative short film! Before this I knew Lenica only through his poster art, and would definitely like to see more of his films now.

A Doubtful Egg said...

As I said above, Stan, I don't think they're that easy to find. Well worth a look, though!

Stan said...

Here's another - co-directed with Walerian Borowczyk. It has the best judo drum solo I've ever seen, as well as the most lifelike wig. It's here as well, with some commentary.

There are a few Lenica films available by more dubious means. Also, Kinoblog has details of official releases, mostly compilations.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Thanks, Stan. Will check those out.