Wednesday, April 8, 2009

An Amusement (XIII)



Inspired by the majesty, nay, the magnificence, of Seanhenge, I felt I must reveal to the world The Circle of Doubt, which was constructed by my partner several years ago on the grounds of her parents' house. A spiral path (like a question mark) leads you into a circle of seven granite stones which surround a slab of Portland stone, on which is inscribed the phrase "Only in Shaddowe can There be Light", a quote from architect Nicholas Hawksmoor. The Portland stone (which was used to build Hawksmoor's churches) was originally pale grey, but has discoloured and darkened significantly over the years. When the sun sets, the shadow of the stones crosses the slab (a deliberate feature). If you stand on the slab at this point and make a wish, well, nothing will happen, but the view of the sunset over the distant mountains is spectacular. 

4 comments:

Claudia said...

The quotation sent me to Nicolas Hawksmoor's beautiful architecture. How fortunate the man who can do so well and so much in one's lifetime.

I'm very impressed by The Circle of Doubt. It must have been arduous to erect the monument, and to build the path. It has a solid look of permanence; at the same time, a mysterious, romantic aura even on a sunny day. I wouldn't attempt a superficial wish on that stone...not at midnight!

A Doubtful Egg said...

When I lived in London my nightly bus route home used to take me past St Paul's and several of Hawksmoor's churches, and I never tired of seeing them. I miss London a lot! Christchurch Spitalfields is an extraordinary building...
Just on the subject of wishing at midnight, the Circle of Doubt on a full-moon night is a very beautiful thing...

Stan said...

What a lovely place, and in such beautiful countryside. Did you ever ritually place (or fry) an egg in the centre of the Circle of Doubt?

A Doubtful Egg said...

I fear the consequences...