Friday, March 13, 2009

Worth Seeking (VIII)

"Noise is incomprehensible yet it is noise that we truly seek since the greatest truth lies behind the greatest resistance." (Morton Feldman)
One of the interesting things about maintaining a wee bloggeen such as mine is that, as time goes on, I feel the need to retune and update features in order to keep it in line with my thinking (if one can describe my strange mental processes with such a word). Anyway, one of the features of my blog has been the segment entitled This Week's Hideous Racket, in which I post links to, or reviews of, music from the more experimental end of the spectrum (and that label was meant entirely in the spirit of irony, seeing as I love the stuff I post links to). But I've become dissatisfied with that particular label, seeing as it could be taken as carrying a negative charge that some people may take offence at. This is both understandable and entirely avoidable, so I've decided to remove the Racket label and replace it with the one above, not just from any subsequent posts, but from my blog at all, which will require a certain amount of retroactive editing. One can compare it to what happened to of King Runazar in a story by Lord Dunsany, of whom "the gods decided must not only cease to be, but cease ever to have been." So if things are a bit odd in the archives for a day or so, please forgive me. And to set my new label out to sea in the proper fashion, here's something interesting from a very exciting Irish composer whose work I'm beginning to explore: 

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Love your new label.

The Concorde ensemble certainly didn't play an 'hideous racket' in this video. The beginning is a bit surprising but the piece is soon filled with 'noises', 'sounds', (whatever...) of an appealing quality. As it's played with musical instruments, and written on staves with notes, I think it's OK to call it music. No irony intended..... Definitely worth seeking. Thanks!

A Doubtful Egg said...

The Hideous Racket label was, of course, meant ironically, but the problem with irony is that what you say can be taken seriously! And why needlessly cause confusion and possible offence in such a fashion, when I should just say what I mean, which is that this music is great? I'm glad you like the piece; I've only recently discovered Grainne Mulvey's work and think it's quite strong and inspiring stuff. And as my new resolution is to feature more Irish composers, I felt it the perfect way to inaugurate my new label!