Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I Haven't Felt This Way Since "Funky Town" (VI)

Have you ever had a song from a band that you don't particular like lodge itself in your head and steadfastly refuse to leave? I never liked the Happy Mondays much (except for 'Step On', which is a great tune), and I don't even like the original version of this track, but this remix oozes such a hazy nocturnal miasma that it perfectly evokes getting the bus around Manchester late at night in the early nineties, which I had to do when my girlfriend was staying in a tower block in a very dodgy area of that city. Turn this one up very loud!

5 comments:

Claudia said...

You put the label:'Happy Mondays'???
Even the photo is scary.....But they used to do scary things on the stages in those days. I don't know now because I seldom go out anymore to those concerts.

Claudia said...

In some sort of a strange way, after listening to the video 2-3 times, it gets to you! I think it's the rhythm...

A Doubtful Egg said...

I'm not sure why they called themselves the Happy Mondays, given their reputation as drug-addled, unreliable, foul-mouthed chancers whose final album in the early 90s allegedly bankrupted Factory Records. I think this song's appeal is the combination of an insistent rhythm (as you say) and its murky atmosphere. I don't know the source of the picture that accompanies this video, though...

Claudia said...

Having to leave the blogosphere for 4 to 6 weeks. Your posts will be missed. Will catch up on my return. All the best to you, and yours.

A Doubtful Egg said...

I'll still be here, I hope! Your thoughts on my scribblings will be missed, and I look forward to your return.