Wednesday, February 4, 2009

'Swonderful, 'Smarvellous, 'Snow...

I've always been an admirer of David Hockney's wonderful joined-up photographs (some can be seen at his site here), and was inspired by the heavy snowfall (heavy by Irish standards, obviously!) to try one of my own. What I like about such photocollages is that they are really good at capturing the scale and detail of landscape in a way that's really hard to do in a single snapshot (at least for me they are). So here's my 'umble 'omage to 'ockney! (With grateful thanks to my partner for showing me how to join them up in Photoshop.)

7 comments:

Sean Jeating said...

[Sean's silently smiling]
Superb salliterations, Sir.

Claudia said...

It's a splendid juxtaposition of sceneries and syllables.

I love the steps in the cold snow leading to the warm colour in the far sky.

Bravo! I would want an "Encore!"

jams o donnell said...

Nicely done. Thanks for the link. I will return the compliment

Claudia said...

How nice, for me, to see David Hockney's work again. We had an exhibition of his stage designs, at the Art Gallery of Ontario, in the 1980s. Apart from the drawings, the Gallery had installed the stage of The Rake's Progress. It was very exciting. But to look today, at all he has done since, in different areas, is breathtaking. Thank you so much for sending us to him.

A Doubtful Egg said...

Sean: 'Sthanks!

Claudia: I recently had the opportunity to visit the Hockney museum in Bradford in Yorkshire, which was absolutely amazing. And I love the Rake's Progress!
And while the sky might look warmer in the distance, I'd have to travel a lot farther (and in the opposite direction, as the picture was taken facing north) before it would be warm enough to remove my woolly hat and jumper...

Jams: Thanks for that. And might I recommend that any visitors unaware of Jams' blog The Poor Mouth should head there via my links to rectify this? It's all good, but I particularly recommend his recent post on a long-forgotten cheese poet. It's cheddariffic!

Sean Jeating said...

Ha ha - cheddarific. I'll tell McSeanagall to keep it in his mind.

Claudia said...

You all befuddle me with your 'Sways with 'Swords...I'm totally lost in your 'Sworld!