Thursday, December 18, 2008

An Amusement (V)

I've been a big fan of Elisabeth Esselink, otherwise known as Solex, since I first heard Solex vs The Hitmeister several years ago, and I recommend a trip to her MySpace page if you ain't familiar with her music (see here). She constructs tracks out of samples (often from records out of her own secondhand shop in Amsterdam) before singing over them, and her lyrics are inspired slices of everyday musing, like the pages left over in a personal diary when you've extracted the emotional, dramatic stuff and used it elsewhere. In other words, it's great: quirky, intelligent, exciting pop music that's a lot of fun, and well worth checking out (I especially recommend the abovementioned album (her first) and Low Kick and Hard Bop (her third); her second, Pick Up, is good but lacking somehow (in my opinion), and I've been unconscionably remiss in not acquiring a copy of her fourth, The Laughing Stock of Indie Rock, released four years ago (!). This oversight is soon to be rectified, especially after hearing this track). The video is by some guy called Mumbleboy (aka Kinya Hanada) and while it's achingly trendy (in an old-fashioned kind of way) his overloaded, junkyard aesthetic is well suited to Solex's DIY musicianship, and I quite like it. And that's reason enough to put it here. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Claudia said...

Truly enjoyable...Visually colourful and animated. I like the music and the voice. The lyrics are a bit meaningless (for me...) I went on Solex site to read "A Round Figure." I got some information on sampling.

Didn't have a clue how it was done except at Wine Tasting, where you get 2 ounces of different wines, and decide which one is best.

I guess what Elisabeth Esselink does is mix bits and pieces of old tracks and register over it. I wonder who does the moving figures. It's very artistic. I'll try to see more on YouTube if Solex is there.

Thank you. It was fun, eccentric and appealing.I could get used to that...

jams o donnell said...

Thanks for visiting teh Poor Mouth. Great blog you have.. anyone who loves Gormenghast, The Third Policeman and Cthulhu is a gentleman and a scholar!

A Doubtful Egg said...

Jams: Welcome to the blog, and thanks for commenting. Like yourself, I'm going into hibernation for a week or two over the Xmas period, so please pop back in the New Year!
(Just to mention that Titus Groan and Gormenghast, which I read first when I was 13 and have reread more times than I care to remember (I think I own at least four copies of it!) have had more influence on me than I can put into words. Each time I read them I am freshly astounded.)

Claudia: I'm glad you enjoyed it. Solex is not nearly as well known as she should be! I like her lyrics a lot, because they are so seemingly inconsequential and everyday - one thing that can spoil a song for me faster than anything else is overblown, self-important lyrics! And sadly there's very little Solex on YouTube...
I'm not going to blogging for a while as I'm off to England in a few days and the time in between is being spent with family and friends, so I hope you have a pleasant and relaxing time over the holidays, and I would hope to be talking to you in the New Year!

Claudia said...

Absolutely! Inconsequential is the right word for the lyrics. I would say it's very much part of the whole concept of Solex. It's extraordinary creative and new. I'll try to find her in music stores.

All the best to you. Take care!