Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I Haven't Felt This Way Since "Funky Town"! (III)

Come with me on a journey to the mid-nineties, when a young Doubtful Egg had first moved from the country to the Big Smoke of Dublin and was hearing a kind of music unlike anything he'd ever experienced before. This song instantly brings me back there, to that sense of wonder I felt at hearing a whole new type of music emerging from the underground of UK cities, full of energy and excitement, and which fascinated me unduly (before its promise, like all flesh, withered away over time). I first heard this track on Kenny Ken's excellent A History of Hardcore, which provides a comprehensive and brilliantly edited overview of the evolution of drum 'n' bass, and is a must for anyone interested in dance music in the nineties. It's hard to believe that the following is over ten years old now (cue crinkly-voiced droning about the sands of time, it's a long way from May to September, and similar drivel). Turn up the bass as high as your speakers will allow, and play it loud. (The name of the track doesn't appear on the video, so if you want to know what it is, leave a comment and I'll reveal all.)

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Awesome...Great drum and rhythm.
More of a classical fan myself. But would dance to that easily on a Saturday night...

darren said...

who is that then?or had Damo been at the Beneylin again?